Sandesh or Sondesh (news/messages) is a milk based dessert, originating from eastern part of India. The name of the dessert was derived from practice of sending this sweet to friends and family on special occasions. Sandesh is prepared by curdling fresh milk and adding few mild ingredients to flavour the cottage cheese/paneer/chenna extracted after curdling. The recipe of sandesh that I am sharing with you is the one I have learnt from my mother. It barely takes any efforts and the results are mind blowing.
|Cooking Time||Prepration Time||Total Time|
|20 minutes||10 minutes||30 minutes|
Makes 8 – 9 pieces approx.
- Fresh Milk – 1.5 liters
- White Vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Water – 3 tbsp
- Castor sugar- 1/2 cup
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Safforn Threads – 10 threads (soaked in 1/2 tbsp warm water)
- Pistachio flakes – 1 tsp (optional)
- In a bowl add white vinegar and water, give a mix and keep aside.
- Take a pot pour milk and set it to boil on a medium heat. Once the milk comes to boil, add the vinegar and water mixture and give it a stir.
- Milk will start to curdle slowly. Once all the milk separates from the whey, sieve the curdled milk with muslin cloth.
- Rinse the paneer/chenna to get rid of any vinegar remains.
- Twist the muslin cloth from the top and squeeze out all the water from the paneer/chenna.
- Once the water is extracted from paneer/chenna, shift it to a mixing bowl. Gently break the ball shaped panner/chenna in the bowl, add castor sugar, cardamom powder and gently knead together, until everything is combined.
- Place a pan on low heat, add the mixed chenna and start cooking it. Keep stirring it, occasionally so it doesn’t stick to the pan (do not cook for more than 5 minutes). This helps in further removal of water, which helps in moulding the sandesh.
- Remove the sandesh in a dish and let it cool down.
- Once it is cold mould the sandesh in desired shape. Place them on the serving dish, dip the tip of your ring finger in the soaked safforn and gently press in it the centre of the sandesh. Continue doing the same with rest of the sandesh too.
- Lastly garnish it with pistachio flakes.
- Refrigerate Sandesh atleast for an hour before serving.
Make this simple begali dessert today and share your feedback in the comment section below. Waiting to hear from you.