Banana bread also known as banana cake is made with a with fully ripen banana and is enjoyed, on the side with breakfast and with regular tea or coffee routine. I bought a dozen of bananas last week and was waiting for them to ripen to achieve the desired texture and flavour. Once they were ripe enough, I could not wait any longer and to bake this amazing nutty banana chocolate bread loaf. Chocolate is optional but I cant really express my fondness towards it and end up adding them in everything I bake 😬
|Cooking Time||Prepration Time||Total Time|
|20 minutes||10 minutes||30 minutes|
Ingredients (10-12 slices)
- All Purpose Flour/Maida – 2 + 1/2 cup or 250 gms
- Baking Soda – 1 tsp
- Baking Powder – 2 tsp
- Banana – 2 large / 250 gms
- Cooking Oil – 1/2 cup / 50 ml
- Milk – 1 cup / 100 ml (room temperature )
- Vanilla Essence – 2tsp
- Vinegar / Lemon juice – 2 tsp
- Sugar – 1 cup / 100 gms
- Walnuts – 1/2 cup / 50gms
- Choco Chip – 1/2 cup / 50 gms
- Room temperature butter – 1 tbsp (for greasing the pan)
- Flour – 1 tbsp (dusting the pan)
- Partchment paper/ baking paper
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degree celsius and grease the cake tin with some butter and dust with some flour. Put the parchment paper in the bottom of the greased pan and keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl sieve the flour, baking soda, baking powder and keep aside (sieve them at least 3 times to achieve lighter texture).
- In another mixing bowl add the ripen bananas and mash them using a fork, once they are mashed add oil, milk, vinegar/lemon juice, sugar, vanilla essence and give it a good mix until the sugar melts.
- Now add all the dry ingredients in batches and fold the ingredients gently without using any pressure. Just before mixing the last batch add the choco chips and chopped walnuts (leave few for garnishing) and give a last fold gently.
- Pour the batter in the greased pan and garnish the top of the bread with left over walnuts and choco chips.
- Bake the banana bread for about 30-35minutes at 180 degree temperature or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the bread rest for good 10 minutes before you remove it from the tin, then let in cool on the wire rack for 20 minutes before you cut slices.
Note : When baking a fruit based cakes or bread, ensure you weight the quantity of the fruit, or use the same size, as if you add them more than the mentioned quantity, your bread or cake might not rise or might rise while baking and might flaten in the cooling process.
Time to put your apron, baking tools, tin and mitts to use. Bake this amazing bread loaf today and share your experience in the comment section below.