Kebabs are a very popular street food in some parts of india. Shami Kebabs are delicate and soft in texture are also enjoyed as an appetizer in restaurants, across nation. They don’t just melt in your mouth but are a good source protein. This recipe makes makes approximately 6-7 kebabs.
|Cooking Time||Prepration Time||Total Time|
|30 minutes||20 minutes||50 minutes|
- Dried Red Chilli – 1 nos
- Coriander seeds – 1/2 tbsp
- Green Cardamoms – 2 nos (peel the skin and use the seeds only)
- Cloves – 2 nos
- Cinnamon stick – 1/2(half) inch long
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric power – 1/8th tsp
- Gram dal/ Channa dal – 1/2 cup (boiled and excess water strained)
- Soya Granules – 1/2 cup (boiled and excess water strained)
- Gram flour/ Besan – 2 tbsp
- Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Green Chilli – 2 nos (finely chopped)
- Ginger & Garlic Paste – 1tsp
- Potato – 1 medium size (boiled and mashed)
- Mint leaves – 2tbsp (finely chopped)
- Coriander leaves – 2tbsp (finely chopped)
- Salt – As per taste
- Cooking oil – 4-5 tbsp (or you can use more to shallow fry)
- We will first prepare the Shami Kebab spice mix, for that you need to set the pan on medium heat. Add all the whole spices (ingredients 1-6) and dry roast the spices until they are aromatic and has got slight colour. Transfer them in a blending jar and blend it into a fine powder.
- Place a pan on medium heat and 1 tbsp of oil, once hot add finely chopped onion and cook them until they are brown.
- When the onions have got brown colour to it, add ginger & garlic paste and sauté until the raw flavour of the duo is gone (takes 1 minute approxmiately).
- Now add the boiled gram dal and soya granules along with green chilli, salt and spices, cook them until the water from the duo is evaporated and everything has come together. Transfer in to a mixing bowl and let it cool down.
- Once the mixture is cooled down, add the finely chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves and gram flour. Mix together with the help of your hand to form it into a dough.
- Devide the dough in 6-7 equal portions and shape them in the disired shape and place it on a clean plate.
- In a frying pan add 1 tsp of cooking oil, once hot swirl the oil around the pan before placing, kebabs on the pan for frying.
- After 4-5 minutes, brush some oil on the kebab and gently flip them to the other side.
- Cook the kebabs until they have a crispy coat on each sides.
Serve them hot with some spicy green chutney, raw onions and paratha. Share your experience in the comments section below.